This is a wonderful breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up.
Words and recipes Vanessa Baxter. Photography Todd Eyre
- 2 cups black rice, soaked for at least 8 hours
- ¼ tsp fine-grain sea salt, to season
- ½ vanilla bean, scraped, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400ml full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup water (approx.)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- coconut milk or cream, to serve
- fruits and nuts, as desired
The day before, measure out the rice, rinse it and cover with water. Let it soak overnight. Drain and rinse well again.
Place the rice in a pot with the salt, vanilla bean or essence, coconut milk and enough water to cover the rice to your first knuckle. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook covered, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed – around 45 minutes. Add the maple syrup and fold to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Scoop the coconut rice into bowls, and drizzle with extra coconut milk or cream. Top with fruits and nuts as desired.