In celebration of National Avocado Day, here are some wonderful and weird facts about this delicious fruit that you may be surprised to hear about.
- Avocados are commonly mistaken for a vegetable, but they’re a type of fruit!
- You can freeze avocados by first mashing them and brushing with lemon or lime juice to prevent browning.
- Avocadoes originated from Mexico and Central America. Nowadays, they are commercially grown around the world, including in Mexico, Peru, Chile, Spain, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- There’s a New Zealand beer made from Avocado.
- During lockdown, there was an increase in avocado purchases by under 35s.
- To accelerate the ripening process, put your avocados in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana.
- Avocados are perfect for a baby’s first food, with their creamy texture and nutritional content.
- It’s best to avoid brown avocado flesh as this means the avocado is rotting.
- Avocado makes the best creamy salad dressing.
- Avocados are not just for consumption; you can use avocado in hair and face masks to benefit from its moisturising properties!
What do you love the most about avocados?
Share the love