You know Lady Gaga’s song Born this Way? Well, I’m the opposite of that when it comes to running. I wasn’t born a runner. No way. I’m more of a “writing-geek”.
Five years ago, I thought runners were born different. Or crazy. Back then, I used to puff merely pushing my (then) baby in a pram.
I’ll be honest. I hated running when I started. I had a fire-engine face and this usually mild-mannered girl swore sometimes as I struggled to move faster than a snail…
But like anything, the more you do something, the better you get. So, I revved up my walk to a run/walk//repeat routine around the block. I committed to running 2-3 times weekly and after a few months it got easier. I got better. And I actually came to enjoy running. I’ve been a runner now for five years and I now “get” what this running bizzo is about.
Hello runner’s high! Hello me-time to de-stress! So, if this unfit mum can become a runner, you can too.
Here are 5 reasons to join me at the John West 12km Traverse as part of the Auckland Marathon event on October 29:
1. Walking or running to prepare for this event will help you to de-stress and feel healthier and fitter.
2. You get to run over the Auckland Harbour Bridge. It’s the only day of the year you can do this.
3. Signing up for a goal helps with motivation ie scare you into action.
4. You can tick this event off your bucket list. You too can become a (smug) runner.
5. Sign up with a friend and train together. You’ll help motivate each other to train and share this journey together.