When we're leading busy lives and trying to cram in as much as we can into our days, it can be easy to slip into the habit of eating lunch at our desk or on the go, instead of taking some time out and lunching well. Taking a lunch break is not only great for productivity and creativity, it's also incredibly important for your wellbeing.
Not sure how to add a little wellness to your break? Southern Cross have some suggestions for how you can lunch well:
- Music is a great mood booster. Listen to your favourite song and benefit from the increased levels of dopamine and reduced stress levels.
- Eat brain-powering foods like tuna, salmon, walnuts and almonds that contain omega-3 fatty acids
- Fit in a workout. Exercise has lots of benefits, like reducing stress, improving mood and increasing confidence and self-esteem. It doesn't need to be long. Even a quick walk will do you wonders.
- Invite a colleague, boss or a friend to lunch. Strengthen bonds and relationships while getting away from your desk.
- Pick up the book you're reading or tune into a good podcast and zone out. Doing this will help your inner dialogue switch off and let your mind recoup.
- Have a little power nap. Brief naps of 15-20 minutes can improve alertness and mood quickly.
- Use your auto reply on your emails to let your colleagues know you're lunching well and will be back soon.
- Go for a quick walk or run. Map out a simple running route from your office, take friend and go for a jog.
- Avoid screens. Take some time out away from your computer screen or devices. Many jobs have us looking at screens for the majority of the day, so give your eyes a well-deserved break.
- Download an app like Headspace, and listen to a guided meditation.
Got a different idea of your own? That's great! Whatever you decide to do, take some time for a mid-day refresh as part of NZ Lunch Well Day today and every day. You'll start to feel and see the mental and physical benefits that are so good for your long-term health and wellbeing.