PRODUCED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH ORGANIC INDIA
During Summer there are some simple, but very effective tweaks we can make to our diet that can go a long way towards bringing us back into balance during the Summer heat.
According to the Ayurvedic principle ‘like increases like’, the consumption of foods and drinks with cooling properties can promote a cooler and calmer physical, mental and emotional body-mind.
The ancient and holistic practice of Ayurveda originated in India. It is based on establishing balance between body, mind, spirit and our relationship to our environment.
Here are some simple tips to keep in mind for a cool, calm and collected Summer.
1. Eat cooling summer foods
Increase your intake of foods that have cooling properties and reduce your intake of foods with heating properties.
For a good Ayurvedic Summer diet, you should:
- Increase your intake of sweet, bitter, astringent flavours and foods that are light, slightly oily and easy to digest. This includes, salads, steamed vegetables, rice and seasonal fruit.
- Reduce the amount of spicy, sour, salty and dry foods, e.g. chillies, salsa, dry biscuits, chips, coffee.
2. Sip cooling Summer drinks
It’s super important to stay hydrated! Try drinking cool herbal teas that include herbs with cooling properties such as rose, liquorice, hibiscus or peppermint.
The ORGANIC INDIA herbal tea blends I love to drink cold during Summer are:
- Tulsi Peppermint Tea (stress-relieving and refreshing)
- Tulsi Licorice Spice Tea (stress-relieving and soothing)
- Tulsi Sweet Rose Tea (stress-relieving and magical)
- Tulsi Green Tea Ashwagandha (stress-relieving and refreshing)
There are two ways to prepare cold blends/iced tea*:
- Hot brew: Simply pour freshly boiled water onto your infusion teabags, cover with a lid (or saucer) and steep for 5-10 minutes and allow to cool or refrigerate.
- Cold brew: Poor room temperature water onto your infusion teabags, cover and infuse for 6 – 12 hours on the bench or refrigerate.
Introducing Tulsi Green Tea Ashwagandha!
This Summer I will be drinking the newest ORGANIC INDIA blend to arrive in New Zealand and Australia, Tulsi Green Tea Ashwagandha. I am really excited about this certified organic blend, which is fast becoming a favourite! It is a powerhouse of vitality that combines the famous adaptogens Tulsi and Ashwagandha, with refreshing Lemongrass and anti-oxidant Green Tea.
The benefits associated with consuming Ashwagandha include soothing anxiety and stress, and supporting vitality.
Try the cold brew method this Summer!
People often report that cold-brewing green tea has a smoother, sweeter taste. Unlike hot water, cold water does not extract tannins which are what provides the bitterness.
And remember: SLOW it down this Summer. Beautiful Summer evening moonlight or twilight strolls are a lovely way to brush off the day, unwind, reconnect with nature, and prepare yourself for sleep. Happy Summer everyone!!
*Note: Ayurveda recommends against drinking icy drinks, especially at meal times as this can negatively impact on your digestion. Cool, but not icy is great for those hot Summer days.
Find out more at organicindia.nz.