Here is a fantastic recipe to make light, fluffy vanilla cupcakes with delicious butter icing. Add your SPCA Cupcake Day decorative touches to make them too good to resist on Cupcake Day!
• 150g butter, softened
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 2 free-range eggs
• 2 tsp vanilla essence
• 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
• 1 1/4 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced.
2. Beat butter until smooth, add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well. Add the sifted flour, milk and vanilla, beat until smooth.
3. Place paper baking cases in a cupcake tin, spoon in mixture until they are about 2/3 full (don’t overfill or they will form peaks).
4. Bake for 20 minutes until golden or until they spring back when lightly pressed.
5. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool while you prepare the icing.
• 2 cups icing sugar
• 30ml water
• Food colouring, optional
1. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
2. Add the food colouring if desired.
3. Add the water and stir until well combined and smooth.
4. Spoon over cupcakes and get creative with your decorating.