The brand new series Kiwi Living airs on Friday, TV1 at 7.30 – and is set to be a fun and informative mix of lifestyle and entertainment television, bringing viewers the best of New Zealand’s food, travel, living spaces, health and well-being, fashion and gardening. In Kiwi Living, children’s entertainer and television personality Erin Simpson will showcase her creative eye, hosting the interior design segment and come to the rescue of Kiwis who need a home makeover. She’ll also be giving her tips and tricks to transform everyday items into usable and stylish items for the home. We talk to her about her design ambitions….
Why did you want to be part of the Kiwi Living team?
I have a very visual and creative mind so I like to dive into the design world all the time. In the last 12 months I have been lucky enough to have 25 galleries and design stores stock my art prints and screen art pieces, so when I heard that a TV role had come available that combines both presenting and design ideas I jumped at the chance of being involved. It’s a type of role that no one has seen me in before and it’s a chance to get the best out of the amazing Kiwis that are letting us into their homes.
How do you hope your design segment will inspire viewers to start or try something new?
I hope that viewers will see how easy it is to give these projects a go – they’ll see every day Kiwis (me included) who have become motivated to bring some freshness into their day to day lives and their homes.
Erin Simpson’s top design tips:
- You must have item is the tape-measure! No matter what the job, big or small you can’t take on a project without it. All you have to do in order to succeed is measure twice and cut once.
- Interior design is not scary. Placing different items together is all it takes. Layer colours, textures and fabrics, mix them all together and you’ve got an interior designer label to add to your CV.
- Don’t be afraid of colour. It’s so easy to add accents of colour and turn your room into something awesome simply by adding cushions, blinds and accessories.
- Hang curtains higher than the windows to make the room appear bigger. For a luxurious look ensure curtains go right to the floor, even when the windows don’t.
- Pick your paint colours last. With the endless options in paint colours, it’s much easier to match the paint to your chosen window treatments, wallpaper, flooring and accessories
Kiwi Living, Fridays 7.30pm on TV ONE