At Good we are all about wellbeing, and what many don’t realise is how important a clean home space is when looking after your health.
If you are consistently moving around a house that has built up dirt and dust, you are compromising the air you breathe and are putting your health at risk.
So, to help with our readers’ wellbeing, we feel obliged to share some intriguingly-gross facts about dust and dust mites that we have recently come across.
- Dust contains a high percentage of human skill cells, and with an average person losing around 28 grams of skin per week, this equates to the weight of a small bag of chips.
- 1m2 of carpet can contain up to 1000 dust mites, which when moving around the house, can be transferred into the air, floating for up to 30 minutes and can be easily inhaled.
- Dust mites feed off human and animal skin flakes, each mite generating around 20 droppings a day.
- Dust mites thrive in dark and warm conditions, like mattresses. Beds can contain between 100,000 and more than one million dust mites.
- Wearing shoes indoors, you can track animal faeces, pollen, fertilisers, motor oil, toxic compounds and other miscellaneous organisms to every room of the house.
- The health risks to babies from pollutants in household dust may be up to 100 times greater than for adults.
- There are on average more than 2000 distinct types of microbes in our dust.
Disturbing, but worth knowing, these facts have prompted us to encourage wellbeing within the home space. To prevent inhaling dust and affecting your health, it is important to use high-quality cleaning products, for example the Dyson V11 Outsize for deep cleaning.
Optimised for deep cleaning, the new Dyson V11 Outsize™ has been re-engineered to include a large bin & cleaning head and run for up to 120 minutes, perfect for bigger homes and bigger cleans.