This pickled red onion recipe is a mash-up of many recipes I’ve used and researched. The result is a gorgeous pink jar of onions ready to put on everything. These beauties work well on grazing platters, burgers, bagels, and with canapés. If you pop them in a nice mason jar with some twine, thee make an affordable gift too.
All it takes to make pickled red onion is six ingredients and you’ll be on your way to impressing your guests.
- 2 red onions, sliced finely
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons of sugar or natural sweetener
- 1.5 tablespoons of salt
- 10 or so black peppercorns
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Place finely sliced red onions and crushed garlic in a heat-proof jar that will fit the onions and the pickling liquid.
- Place all other ingredients into a pot and heat over medium-high heat until boiling. Continue to boil until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour the hot mixture over top of the onion and garlic and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, pop the lid on and refrigerate.
- Give them a few hour to chill in the fridge, then pile them onto your food as you please.